Are your wheels tubeless compatible??
Yes, the complete FFWD clincher wheel line-up is tubeless ready designed and manufactured to strict ETRTO/ISO tolerances. This includes the F3, F4, F6, F9 and DISC series wheels. In addition Tubeless Ready (TLR) road models are available in both rim brake and disc brake. Tubeless ready models are delivered with tubeless rim tape and valves.
What tire widths can I use on my FFWD Wheels??
FFWD’s proprietary DARC aerodynamic rim profile is designed and optimized for a 25mm tire width. However a broad range of tire widths can be used on all models. For clincher wheels tire widths of 21-40mm can be used to accommodate a wide range of disciplines. Tubular models are compatible with 19mm-45mm wide tires. For a complete listing of models and compatible tire widths you can view the Wheel Specification Chart listed on the Downloads page.
What brake pads are recommended??
We work closely with SwissStop for research and testing of FFWD rims and brake surfaces.
For carbon clincher and tubular wheels, SwissStop Black Prince pads ship with each wheel and are recommended. SwissStop Yellow King pads may also be used. We do not recommend using alternate pads with our rims, this will void the warranty.
Can I use carbon specific pads for my alloy rims??
No, it is not recommended and will void the warranty.
There are two very important reasons:
1) The brake pads we supply with our wheels are for carbon rims only, because of the special compound of which the pads are made. This compound mix is not suitable for optimum brake performance on alloy surfaces.
2) It is also very important to keep the brake pads that are used for alloy rims separate from the ones used on carbon rims. Alloy splinters can accumulate on the pad when braking. When you use these pads on carbon rims, the splinters will scratch the carbon and possibly damage the fibers. This is an important safety issue which must be avoided.
How can I find the hub model used in my wheels??
To determine what FFWD hub model has been used on your wheels, you can view our Hub Identification page here.
Are FFWD Wheels 11-12spd or SRAM XDR compatible??
Yes, FFWD wheels are compatible with the latest Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo drivetrains.
Are FFWD wheels tandem rated??
Yes, due to our rim technology, components and artisan hand building techniques select FFWD wheels are rated for tandem use and are widely used around the globe with elite and national teams in time-trials, road racing and on the track.
If you have specific questions or would like help selecting the best option for your intended use, feel free to contact us.
Is there a weight limit for FFWD FCC wheels??
The FFWD full carbon clincher wheels have been thoroughly tested in all areas of road cycling. With field-testing on different terrains and lab tests for brake performance, the FFWD carbon clinchers and 3K Nano Brake Technology have proven to be strong and durable.
The F3R, F4R, F6R, F9R and DISC FCC models are strong wheels that are technically able to handle riders to 265lbs (120kg).
However, not all terrain and riding style suits the use of full carbon clincher rim brake wheels. Depending on the combination of factors like rider weight, riding style, and typical terrain (flats, rollers, mountains) the best suitable wheel set can be selected from our range.
We are happy to help you with that choice, feel free to contact us.
How Competitive are FFWD wheels with regard to weight??
Actually, FFWD wheels are very competitive with regard to weight.
We demand more from our rims then we would if we designed for lower spoke tensions or if we imposed rider weight limits. Our wheels are built with DT Swiss components and brass nipples offering the best quality, performance and durability.
Furthermore, we feel that a small weight increase for a superior wheelset that will offer better performance and reliability is of much greater importance than being the lightest on the market.
What is FFWD's philosophy on weight vs aerodynamics??
FFWD’s focus is on fast durable wheels. We don’t consider weight to be of equal importance although we of course try to make the wheels as light as possible within our strict quality and performance standards.
You can learn more about our proprietary DARC ‘Double Arc’ aerodynamic rim profile and testing here.
I see FFWD Wheels online, are these real??
Purchases made online, via 3rd party auction sites or from overseas parties do not carry a valid US warranty and may be counterfeit. Authenticity and service can only be guaranteed by purchasing FFWD wheels through our website or our network of authorized dealers.
If your local dealer does not currently carry FFWD Wheels, please have them visit this link!
How Should I Mount Tires on FFWD Tubeless Ready Wheels??
INSTALLATION OF TUBELESS TIRES SHOULD BE DONE BY AN EXPERIENCED MECHANIC!
INSTALLATION OF THE TUBELESS SYSTEM WITH USE OF TUBELESS SEALANT IS MANDATORY!
NOT FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY TO THE USER OR DAMAGE TO THE PRODUCT AND WILL VOID THE PRODUCT WARRANTY!
NOTE: Tubeless tape installation is MANDATORY when using standard inner tubes
**WARNING! TUBELESS SETUPS CAN FAIL AND CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR PRODUCT DAMAGE DUE TO POSSIBLE FAILURE OF THE TIRE, SEALANT, RIM TAPE OR VALVES**
**WARNING! TIRE COMPATIBILITY AND FIT CAN VARY DUE TO TIRE MANUFACTURER TOLERANCES**
In order to make the best use of your tubeless wheels please follow our instructions and recommendations.
- Clean and dry the rim bed thoroughly with degreaser before applying the tubeless tape
- Apply the tubeless rim tape and wrap the rim two times and ensure the start and end of the tape overlap 10cm to 15cm
- Make sure the tubeless tape is pressed to the rim bed firmly with no bubbles or air pockets
- Make a small hole in the tubeless tape at the valve hole (preferably with the tip of a sharp pair of scissors)
- Place the tubeless valve in the rim firmly and install the valve nut tightly on the outside of the rim – DO NOT USE OUTER O-RING ON INSTALLATION!
- Mount the tubeless tire(s) as per instructions of the tire manufacturer (do not use metal tools to mount the tire in order not to damage the rim)
- Fill the tubeless tire(s) with tubeless sealant (THIS STEP IS MANDATORY) as per instructions of the sealant manufacturer
- Make sure the sealant is evenly divided within the tubeless tire
- Inflate the tire taking the maximum inflation of 8.5 bar (123 psi) for the rims in consideration. You should hear “popping” noises as the tire inflates and the tire bead is seated and secured into the rim properly. (If the tire has a lower maximum tire pressure please follow manufacturer recommendations)
- Check if the tire is installed correctly by rotating and inspecting the tire and rim. Take notice of any air loss or noises around rim and valve hole.
- Adjust tire pressure to preference following tire manufacturer recommendations.
NOT FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY TO THE USER OR DAMAGE TO THE PRODUCT AND WILL VOID THE FAST FORWARD WHEELS WARRANTY!
What hubs are used in FFWD Wheels??
For hub selection, we have chosen to partner with the global leader in high-performance hub technology, DT Swiss. This close partnership allows us to focus exclusively on building superior performance rims and wheels, while DT Swiss focuses on R&D, testing and manufacturing of hubs.
An additional benefit of using DT Swiss hubs is the availability of replacement parts for dealers and consumers along with a worldwide service network should a wheel ever need repair.
Rim brake models are offered with DT Swiss 350 and 240 20/24 straight pull hubs, disc brake models are offered with DT 350 and 240 24/24 straight pull center lock hubs.
For a complete list of hubs used in FFWD Wheels and related parts information you can visit this link.
Can I convert my DT Swiss Hubs to TA or QR??
Yes, DT Swiss offers a wide selection of hub and end cap solutions to convert your DT350 or DT240 hub. Please visit the DT Swiss compatibility charts here.
How do I clean my FFWD Wheels??
Carbon wheels require routine maintenance to ensure a long lifetime of performance. You can view our maintenance video here or download our carbon wheel cleaning instructions under our Downloads page.
Is the Five-T wheel directional??
Yes, the Five-T is directional and should be installed on the bike with the widest part of the bladed spokes as the leading edge facing forward similar to an airfoil or airplane wing.
Do you offer ceramic bearings??
Ceramic bearings are not standard for our wheelsets but can be installed by your local dealer. FFWD wheels use DT Swiss hubs offering easy serviceability and standard bearing sizes that are widely available on the aftermarket.
How can I find spoke lengths used on my wheels??
FFWD builds all spoked wheels with Sapim CX-Ray or DT Aerolite bladed spokes and DT brass nipples which are widely available and easily replaceable if necessary. To determine the spoke lengths used in your wheels, visit the Tech Specs section on the Downloads page under Support.
What makes FFWD rims unique??
We use a combination of very high-quality Toray carbon fiber sheets for the majority of the lay-up. This gives the rim a very high strength with sufficient stiffness to cope with hard application of the wheels. So, rather than use a stiffer, but more brittle carbon type, we chose durability over ultimate stiffness. In some lay-ups we add some higher modulus sheets to increase stiffness locally. Additionally, each rim shape is proprietary with intensive R&D and testing leading to the final product.
Read more about our wheel technologies here.