Tubeless Wheel Setup Instructions
Wheel Setup Steps
- If you plan to use a standard inner tube/tire setup follow Steps 1 to 4 and then mount your inner tubes and clincher tires.
- If you plan to use a tubeless setup follow Steps 1 to 12.
DISCLAIMER & WARNINGS
DISREGARDING THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY TO THE USER OR DAMAGE TO THE PRODUCT AND WILL VOID THE PRODUCT WARRANTY.
- **NOTE:** TUBELESS RIM TAPE INSTALLATION IS MANDATORY REGARDLESS OF STANDARD TUBE/TIRE OR TUBELESS SETUP
- TUBELESS SYSTEMS SHOULD BE INSTALLED BY AN EXPERIENCED MECHANIC.
- TUBELESS SEALANT IS MANDATORY WITH INSTALLATION OF A TUBELESS SYSTEM AND PRIOR TO TIRE INFLATION.
- FFWD TUBELESS CLINCHER RIMS EMPLOY A HOOKED BEAD SEAT – USE OF HOOKED BEAD TIRES IS REQUIRED OR CAN CAUSE FAILURE.
- **WARNING!** TUBELESS SETUPS CAN FAIL AND CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR PRODUCT DAMAGE DUE TO POSSIBLE FAILURE OF THE TIRE, SEALANT, RIM TAPE OR VALVES
- **WARNING!** TIRE COMPATIBILITY AND FIT MAY VARY DUE TO TIRE MANUFACTURER TOLERANCES – FFWD IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR TIRE FIT, FAILURE, DAMAGE OR INJURY RESULTING FROM TIRE ISSUES
Clean the rim bed thoroughly with degreaser before applying the tubeless tape to ensure good adhesion of the tape.
Install the tubeless rim tape, wrap each rim two times (2x) to completely seal the rim bed overlapping the valve hole by 10cm.
Make sure the tubeless tape is applied to the rim bed uniformly with no air pockets.
Make a small hole in the tubeless tape at the valve hole using scissors or small knife. Be sure not to make the hole too large as this can cause leaks or failure.
Seat the valve in the valve hole and thread on the external valve nut securely on the outside of the rim. DO NOT USE AN O-RING!
Mount the tubeless tire(s) per instructions of the tire manufacturer (do not use metal tools to mount the tire, rim damage can occur). Be sure to note if the tire is directional and mount appropriately.
Remove the valve core and fill the tubeless tire(s) with tubeless sealant as required by the manufacturer and size of tire (THIS STEP IS MANDATORY PRIOR TO INFLATION).
Reinstall the valve core back into the valve stem before inflation.
Rotate wheel several times to ensure the sealant is evenly distributed within the tubeless tire.
Inflate the tire with a maximum of 8.5 bar (125 psi) to seat the tire bead properly in the rim. This step can often be done with a floor pump dependent upon tire but may require an air compressor or charger tank. You should hear the tire bead “click” into the rim hooks.
If the tire has a lower maximum tire pressure please take this in consideration and follow tire manufacturer recommendations.
Check that the tire and bead is mounted correctly and follows the rim profile uniformly with no leaks.
Adjust air pressure for your preferred riding style and tire manufacturer recommendations and you are ready to go!